Dear Professor Blackstone,

I trust this email finds you in good health. My name is Ryan and I am a first year mechanical design and manufacturing student. I am writing to introduce myself and express how excited I am to participate in this critical thinking and communication module.

I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic in 2021 with a diploma in robotics and mechatronics. I was always curious on how things worked since I was a kid. I distinctly remember when I was learning how to read an analog clock for the first time, I was more fascinated by how the hands were able to move on their own instead of learning how to read it. I also used to play with lego sets and that was my favorite thing to do growing up. I eventually grew out of playing with legos but that love for having a vision for something and making it tangible never went away. With those reasons I mentioned, I concluded that engineering would be the best field to go into. 

Aside from engineering, I have a few other interests and hobbies. I enjoy canoeing on the weekends, It was a sport that I picked up while in polytechnic and I still enjoy it to this day. Another interest that I have is that I enjoy listening to discussions and debates on the various political issues of our time. I enjoy hearing multiple points of views from politicians and different political commentators. I was always fascinated with how people can have vastly different opinions on the same issue and I really admire the skill of how people present and counter arguments to stand up for what they believe in. 

My communication strength is that I am good at building rapport with people. I believe that rapport is important as when members of a group are comfortable with each other, they are more likely to express their thoughts and ideas more freely and that would improve communication between them and improve the overall quality of the project. My communication weakness is that I tend to be really nervous when speaking publicly and I tend to speak too fast when I'm in front of a crowd of people staring at me. As an introvert, I don’t feel comfortable when being the center of attention. 

I have set out goals for this module, one of them is to actively participate in any chance I get to speak in front of the class. My hope is if I do it enough then that will improve my confidence in speaking each time. Another goal I have for this module is to improve my writing skills as I find that being able to express ideas in writing is just as important as in speech. 

What makes me stand out is my perseverance and determination. I believe that the world is full of opportunities and I believe that I can achieve anything I set out for when I put my mind to it. I am looking forward to participating in your class!

Yours sincerely,

Ryan

Comments

  1. Hello Ryan,
    Thank you for your letter and for sharing insights into your background and goals for the class. Your letter is well-written and provides a good understanding of who you are. However, I struggle to see the connection in ur content.To enhance this section, consider briefly sharing how these
    how your interests corelate with with ur choice to pursue engineering. Overall, I enjoyed reading your letter. I look forward to a rewarding trimester

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ryan,

    I'm glad to be able to read this as this gives me an insight of the person you are. Your letter maintains a polite and respectful tone and you are open in sharing your weaknesses that others might find it hard to do.
    You could provide a bit more detail on how you plan to achieve your goals in the module. For instance, what specific strategies will you use to overcome your nervousness when speaking publicly?

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ryan,

    Thank you for this fluent, well developed and informative letter. In it you address the key areas of the assignment, doing so with clear language use and fine depth of illustration. I like the way you provide a detailed description of your interest in engineering and share how even at a young age you were wondering about mechanical maneuverings such as movement of the hands of the clock.

    In this letter you also explain in detail your comm skills, including your interest in building rapport with others and the issue you have had in oral presenting, an area we will address. (It is hard for me to imagine you as an introvert, I must admit.)

    I'm especially impressed by your added interest in politics and your sense how argument/conviction plays such an important part in public life. (Is this interest due to someone in your family influencing you or simply one that was learned elsewhere? How did this evolve?)

    Language wise this is an excellent effort.

    I look forward to hearing more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quotation Analysis of the Importance of Communication Skills for Engineers